Your Free Breast Augmentation Consultation
Our breast augmentation consultations are free and designed to help you get to know Dr. Cohen, ask all of your questions, and try on implants to see how you might look after your breast augmentation.
At your meeting with Dr. Cohen, you will discuss:
- Your goals for the outcome of the surgery. Our Baltimore breast augmentation experts work with you to determine that your expectations for your post-surgery breast size are realistic and attainable.
- Your frame and current breast size, shape, and width. What size breasts would be most appropriate for your body frame?
- The amount of sagging you are presently experiencing. This, too, affects how Dr. Cohen will perform the surgery. Would a breast lift with augmentation give you better results?
Your Pre-Op Visit
When you schedule your breast augmentation procedure with Dr. Cohen, you’ll also schedule about an hour and a half for a pre-op visit to ask any remaining questions and get ready for your surgery. We will also confirm your implant choice and give you post-op prescriptions to fill.
What is the Surgery Like?
Dr. Cohen will make a small incision, usually located under the lower portion of the breast near the chest wall. He prefers this “inframammary incision” method because it is the least invasive and allows for the most precision when placing the implant.
Next, Dr. Cohen will create a pocket, or space for the implant. He will then carefully place your implants, centered beneath the nipple. Finally, the incisions are closed with dissolvable sutures.
A breast augmentation takes approximately 1 hour, using general anesthesia. Because safety is always our first concern, we always work with board-certified MD anesthesiologists at our fully accredited private surgery center. Following your surgery, you will be able to go home.
Expect to feel groggy for a day or two. Bed rest the day of surgery is recommended. You will need someone with you for the first 24 hours, and take it easy at home for the next 2-3 days. We will give you a prescription for post-op pain medication, but most patients find they only take these for the first couple of days before switching to approved over-the-counter options, such as Tylenol.
What Should I Expect with Recovery?
Although patients are usually back at work in less than a week, your incisions will continue to heal and your implants will take time to settle into a more natural position. Follow the specific post-operative care instructions that your surgeon gives you in your patient packet.
In general you can expect to return to normal activities in the following time frames following surgery:
- 4-7 days: Most patients are able to drive, return to desk jobs and ease back into daily activities
- About 2 weeks: You should be back to your normal routine and feeling your usual level of energy
- 3 to 4 weeks: With your surgeon’s approval, you should be able to begin aerobic exercise and other workouts not involving the chest
- 4 to 6 weeks: You can now begin to gradually add upper body exercises to your routine.
- 3 to 6 months: Your implants will have nearly settled into their final shape and size, so you can go bra shopping.
Before resuming any activity, it is important to get the green light from your plastic surgeon. Our doctors and patient coordinators are always happy to answer any questions you may have about recovery.
Tips on When to Schedule Your Surgery
It takes three to six months for the implants to settle and relax and give the kind of natural look that patients seek. This is something that you need to consider before undergoing a breast augmentation. Dr. Cohen will discuss this with you at your pre-surgery consultation. And if you’re thinking of breast augmentation surgery with a specific timeframe in mind (for example, you have a wedding or vacation coming up), try to leave a window of at least six to twelve weeks for recovery.
Get Started Today, or Learn More
- Want to try on implants? Schedule a free consultation with us.
- Need info on paying for surgery? Get answers from our financing specialists.
- Confused about sizing? Read our guide to finding the right fit.
- Want to know why patients choose us? Learn about breast augmentation at BELECARA
- What’s the difference between Saline & Silicone Implants? Get the details here.