Why have a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tucks are a great solution for people who, after significant weight loss, pregnancy or natural aging, experience:
- Excess skin in the mid and lower abdomen
- A protruding abdomen
- Weakened muscles of the abdominal wall
- Achieves a flatter, trimmer abdomen
- Tightens abdominal muscles and creates a waistline
- Eliminates most, if not all, stretch marks
- Changes body proportion to enhance overall shape
- Clothes fit better
- Improves self image and confidence
About the Procedure
A tummy tuck requires a horizontal incision in the area between the pubic hairline and navel. Dr. Cohen will try to place the incision as low as possible so it can be hidden behind an undergarment. The shape and length of the incision will be determined by the degree of correction necessary. There are several types of tummy tucks; depending on the physician’s recommendation, weakened abdominal muscles are repaired through an incision and excess fat, tissue and skin is removed. A second incision around the navel may be necessary to remove excess skin in the upper abdomen.
An abdominoplasty takes approximately two to five hours depending on whether it is a mini or full abdominoplasty. This surgery is done on an outpatient basis with general anesthesia. Because safety is always our first concern, we work with board-certified anesthesiologists to ensure that your surgery is as safe as possible. Following your surgery, you will be able to rest in the comfort of your own home.
Recovery & Aftercare
- Patients may experience some degree of bruising, swelling, tenderness and/or numbness.
- Drains may remain in place for about 7 to 10 days.
- Sutures will be removed in approximately one to two weeks.
- Bed rest the day of surgery is recommended.
- Limit activity for the next 2 to 6 days following surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activities for about four to six weeks.
- Return to work in one to three weeks.
- Our Baltimore plastic surgeons will recommend an abdominal binder be worn for a few weeks for support.
Liposuction may be used in conjunction with abdominoplasty surgery to remove excess fat around the sides and back to enhance the overall contour of the tummy. Please discuss this option with the doctor.
MEET OUR LEADER IN ABDOMINOPLASTY
Beautiful, natural results require the highest level of skill and experience. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Cohen has over 25 years of experience performing cosmetic surgery, and is recognized by his peers for his excellence in skill and patient care.
Tummy tucks are usually deemed cosmetic in nature and are therefore not covered by insurance.
**NOTE: The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for any given individual can only be determined through a consultation with Dr. Cohen.