Why have a Breast Lift?
For such a straightforward procedure, a breast lift comes with a number of unexpected benefits. In addition to looking better in and out of clothing, you can look forward to the following improvements:
- Bras will be more comfortable, as you will not rely on them to pull your breasts up.
- You won’t have to worry about awkward “sliding” out of your swimsuit.
- You’ll have better cleavage, so low-cut tops will be more flattering and fun to wear.
- Your more symmetrical breasts will fit beautifully into halter tops, bikinis, and bras.
- You’ll feel an enhanced self-confidence that can have positive effects on personal relationships.
Our Scar-Minimizing Approach to Breast Lifts
Our Baltimore breast specialists use a technique that requires only two incisions, instead of the traditional three. This not only reduces visible scarring, but actually results in a more aesthetically pleasing slope to the breast. It also requires less operating time and a quicker recovery.
Your surgeon will make incisions around the nipple and vertically down from nipple to remove excess skin from beneath the breast. The skin that was formerly located above the nipple is brought together to reshape the breast. The breasts are now firmer, higher, and more youthful looking.
A breast lift typically takes 2 to 3 hours and is done on an outpatient basis with general anesthesia. Because your safety is our highest priority, we always work with board-certified MD anesthesiologists. After a short time in our recovery suite, you can return home the same day.
What should you expect during Recovery?
While each patient heals at a slightly different rate, most find recovery to be a smooth and relatively quick process. While it’s common to have some degree of bruising, swelling, and tenderness, this is usually tolerable. Most patients only use prescribed pain medications for a day or two before switching to Tylenol.
While it’s important to follow your surgeon’s instructions throughout your recovery, you can expect a gradual return to your daily activities:
- Limit activity for the next 2 days following surgery. You will be able to walk around the house, but spend this time reading, watching movies, or listening to music.
- You can typically return to work within 1 week if you have a desk job.
- Avoid strenuous activities for about 1 to 2 weeks, including lifting or work involving the chest.
- You can ease back into aerobic exercise in about 3-4 weeks, with your surgeon’s approval.
How do you know it is time for a Breast Lift?
While all women’s breasts will start to sag at some point, it can be more of a problem for some than for others, especially if you’ve noticed a dramatic change in how you feel about your body because of your sagging breasts. If you answer “yes” to one or more of the following questions, then you are likely a good candidate for a breast lift:
- Do your breasts look like they deflated?
- Is the skin stretched where your breasts extend from your chest?
- Do your nipples point downward, instead of forward?
- Do your nipples sit below the crease underneath your breasts?
- Do you have a hard time finding a comfortable, flattering bra?
If sagging breasts are affecting the way you dress, or especially the way you feel about yourself, then it is time to consider breast lift surgery.
Combining Breast Lift with Augmentation or Reduction
A breast lift alone is an excellent option to improve breast shape, position, and symmetry, but many women are also unhappy with the current size of their breasts. For these patients, a breast lift at the same time as a breast augmentation or breast reduction can provide a better proportioned, aesthetically pleasing breast contour.
Do you want smaller, lifted breasts?
A breast reduction may be your best option. As part of this procedure, Dr. Cohen removes excess skin and tissue to lift and reshape the breasts in addition to making them smaller and lighter.
Do you want larger, lifted breasts?
An increasingly popular option for breast lift patients is to combine a breast lift with augmentation, which simultaneously removes the excess skin that causes sagging while placing the breast implants of your choice underneath the newly reshaped breast, adding volume to enhance your overall breast size and achieve a youthful contour.
Paying for Breast Lift Surgery
Breast lifts are usually deemed cosmetic in nature. However, if the original indication for surgery was to achieve symmetry following mastectomy during breast reconstruction, it is possible to obtain insurance coverage. Our office will work with your insurance company to determine the scope of your benefits.